Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Los Suns

Quick and Dirty:



I am big time news junkie, so when I heard that the entire Phoenix Suns team decided to wear jerseys that read “Los Suns” during Game Two of its playoff game against the San Antonio Spurs. Way to take a stand. It’s in part like a silent protest of the new immigration law that has caused a lot of uproar. So many issues come to play when you discuss immigration. Phoenix has a very large latino community. And even though the NBA consists of only about 15% Latino, Hispanic players, its pretty cool that they have decided to take action in a much larger discussion that is sure to effect people living in their community.




You’ve heard the drama behind it right? Well, here is the short version. Basically, the new law allows police in Arizona to demand proof of residency. Some people believe it encourages racial profiling, but others say that it’s a necessary option since there are so many illegal immigrants flowing into the state (I believe, Texas will follow with something similar). I do believe something should be done about the illegal immigration issue that is plaguing the Southern states, BUT… I don’t think this new law is necessarily “fair”. Times like this, I am happy I am not a lawmaker.  


KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment