Friday, June 18, 2010

Mame!

So last night I had the distinct pleasure of seeing a play called Mame.

It was put on by local theatre house- Minneapolis Musical Theatre. I was blown away. I thought it was so well done, and the creativity and unique elements made the show really different. I knew very little about the production, so when I heard that a man was going to play the title character I was excited to learn more. Men performing in drag is nothing new for me (huh?), and it can easily be taken in a strange direction. This was NOT the case. The actor, Kevin Hansen was magical. His voice was top notch and his character was believable and fun. You immediately wanted to be friends with the character, Mame and I was beaming every time he... I mean SHE hit the stage.


My co-worker, Christian Unser played a southern gentleman... Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside. I was so excited to see him "in character" his accent, his jokes, the singing and dancing. I was really impressed by the whole play and all of the actors and musicians who made this show possible.

I like plays. I like the arts and seeing people who have full time jobs do this on the side. It's just amazing to me to see the amount of talent incorporated into a single production. This musical was very a funny, likeable adaptation. The story was one that any theatre-goer would latch on to. There was few dull moments, and all the characters were smart, witty, and generally well liked by the audience. 

I've been fortunate enough to catch a few MMT productions and I have never been let down. If you have the opportunity in the next few weeks to check out Mame, I would definitely recommend it. Warning, I am not a critic, but I do know goodness when I see it. 
Few quick plugs:
Who: MMT's  "Mame"
See It: Through June 27th
Where it's AT: Illusion Theatre, 528 Hennepin, Downtown Minneapolis
(Upstairs from the Lonetree)
Tickets: $28-$25

IMHO I think you should go check it out. Have a good weekend, folks.
Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment